Tuesday, November 5, 2013

2013 AAOS International Emerging Leadershio Scholarship



I have spent two weeks at the 2013 AAOS International Emerging Leadership (IEL) Scholarhip at the Mass general hospital as my base. This was an incredible experience for me that I would like to share with you.

First I would like to thank Ms Ana  Gurevich who made all the arrangements for my arrival and departure, making my trip extremely easy and confortable. This was perfectly organized, all in advance.

I would also like to express my gratitude to Ms Stefanie Madanian, assistant to Dr Rubash, who took care of my stay in Boston and helped me with the professional arrangements and life details. This made my stay stress-free and pleasant. Many thanks to Ms Madanian.

Dr Harry Rubash, the Chief or Orthopeadics at Mass General and Chair of Orthopedics at Harvard Medical, was my host during this trip. What an amassing person to work with and learn from! I expected much from my stay, but words cannot really do justice to how I felt during this experience.

The first thing that strikes me about Dr Rubash is his caring personality and kindness towards 
 
his colleagues and staff. He has an amazing organizer and educator and I admire his ability to seamlessly transfer his knowledge to his residents and fellows, showing them all tips and trick ‘of the trade’. He has incredible patience and empathy for his colleagues, and yet is tireless in guidance and moving things forward.

I am really grateful for the chance to meet and learn from Dr Rubash. It is not every day one gets an opportunity to learn from someone who’s led one of the greatest hospitals in the world for over 15 years. I was shadowing Dr Rubash during his every day routine. Except, there is nothing ‘routine’ about his day. Every day was a brand new experience. From administrative meetings with his coworkers, from which I have learned much that can be applied to my work at my Department of Orthopedic Surgery.

During my stay in Boston, in fact at the very beginning, we attended the Harvard Medical School 43rd Annual Arthroplasty Course. This was fantastic. I cannot imagine such a course be organized any better. The focus in this course was not only on education but also on the scientific content. The sessions and presenters were very mind-stimulating. The course was attended by experts from all over the world, enabling direct contact and best practice exchange among peers.

Thank you Dr Rubash! For devoting your time and attention to me! I know how valuable your time is. I will not forget this experience.
Also, thanks to AAOS for making this possible and organizing this International Emerging Leadership (IEL) Scholarship.
To all future candidates – I highly recommend this program – it will have a profound influence on your professional and personal development.

No comments:

Post a Comment