Monday, December 15, 2014

Dr. Jiong Jiong Cuo, China, 2014 International Scholarship recipient. Dr. Guo's scholarship award was supported by Dr. Kevin and Orthopaedic Foundation, New York, NY.

I started off my scholarship visit at the Evanston Hospital Arthroscopy Lab with Dr. Howard Sweeney’s colleagues. In the lab, I learnt not only techniques but also tips and tricks of different knots for arthroscopic surgery. Skill is acquired through repeated practice, and practice makes it perfect. It was with the acquirement of these skills that I was able to come back to China to do cuff or Bankart repair in patients. The only pity was Dr. Sweeney was out on that day but I had a wonderful time with his colleagues, Dr. Chehab and Ms. McClellan.

I also had a pleasant meeting with AAOS international department staff.
 
AAOS Orthopaedic Learning Center(OLC) in Rosemont is a “sacred” place train orthopaedic surgery, attracting many surgeons from all around the world. In the course, I furbished up concepts and learned many contemporary strategies for shoulder arthroplasty. Just as the sayings of Confucius “acquiring new knowledge while thinking over the old”. I am very grateful to the unreserved teaching from all the AAOS course members, which has made  my stay in Chicago most fruitful and enjoyable.
 
My next stop was New York. I had the honor to learn from the great master of orthopaedics and sports medicine, Professor Kevin Plancher. He is a very kind, considerate and patient teacher and has taught me his own way of approach in managing patients with shoulder and knee sports injuries. He explained me about the advantage of releasing the suprascapular nerve in cuff tear surgery. This is especially true for the patients with massive rotator cuff tear. I felt honored that I could learn from him, assist him, and have him share with me his experience over the past years. These ventures have opened up my horizon to explore new approaches in shoulder surgery and I hall definitely follow them up on return to China. I also applied the research fund of ISAKOS this year and I shall have the privilege to continue to do some research with him in the future.  

I am very grateful to the entire offices of Plancher Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Foundation, as the doctors, nurses and all the staff welcomed me with open arms. I was always well looked after and was included in many of their social events. One of the highlights of this trip was the honour of attending the Orthopaedic Foundation’s 10th Anniversary Gala Dinner! Cate, beautiful music and scenery, what a wonderful night! I will cherish the shared values of the foundation forever.

To conclude, the experience that I gained in the scholarship is unparalleled. I am really proud of having part of my training at the AAOS course and Plancher Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine as I believe that I was able to develop a new understanding regarding the management of complicated shoulder problems. All the experience will have positive repercussion to my professional practices in China. Naturally, I shall try to continue my collaboration with Dr. Plancher in the field of clinic research. I am deeply indebted to the support of AAOS and Orthopaedic Foundation, as well as Dr. Plancher for his suggestions and guidance without which this fruitful experience will not come about.

No comments:

Post a Comment