Monday, December 29, 2014

Dr. Adeoye Adetiloye AAOS International Emerging Leaders (IEL) Scholarship Experience

 

It was a great honor and privilege to be a recipient of the 2014 AAOS International Emerging Leaders (IEL) Scholarship. The entire scholarship experience wasn't just an impactful and highly inspirational encounter; it was also a most exciting time with my mentors, colleagues and friends.

Firstly, I attended the 11th Annual International Paediatric Orthopaedic Symposium by POSNA/AAOS at the Walt Disney World Swan Resort, Lake Buena Vista, Florida. This highly educational course afforded me the opportunity to update my knowledge in Paediatric Orthopaedics. The resourceful faculty were detailed in their presentations and used evidence-based approach during the sessions. The Breakout sessions were highly interactive with ample opportunities to have hands-on training on some of the new techniques and instrumentation.

It was also a time to catch up and rub minds with some Ponseti practitioners, Dr. Pablo Rosselli from Colombia and Dr. Nariman Abol Oyoun, an Egyptian Paediatric Orthopaedic fellow at Children’s Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

 


 As I alighted from my flight to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, cruising from the airport to the city center, I had no doubt that I had entered the "City of bridges" as I adored the numerous bridges spanning the hilly city. 

I didn't come to count bridges in Pittsburgh by the way. I had the honor of being a visiting fellow at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) under the tutelage of a multiple award-winning Orthopaedic Surgeon, a distinguished Service Professor, Dr. Freddie H. Fu, the Chairman of Orthopaedic Surgery Department.


 


May I tell you a few things about UPMC. It's the first hospital ever where liver transplantation was successfully carried out and it has the largest series of limb transplantation in North America. UPMC is the largest non-governmental employer in Pennsylvania and its ranked No.1 in Pennsylvania by the U.S News and World Report.

Dr. Fu and colleagues did not hold back anything in dishing out the stuff that UPMC is known for. From learning about the "Double-bundle anatomic reconstruction of the ACL" and other arthroscopic maneuvers at the Mercy South side Hospital with Dr. Fu, working with Drs. Ivan Tarkin, Gary Gruen, Peter Siska and the rest of the trauma team at the Montefiore-Presbyterian Centre, to learning new techniques with the total joint reconstruction team at the Shadyside; it was indeed a life changing experience.
 
 
Special thanks go to Dr. Larry Crossett and Dr. Yates for their teachings during the Total Joint theatre sessions as well as learning about computer navigation TKR from Dr. Brian Klatt.
 

 
  
Having the opportunity to make a brief presentation during the Orthopaedic Grand round was quite humbling.


 


The meeting with the Co-director of residency program, Dr. MaCalus Hogan, where we shared ideas was quite fruitful and the numerous research meetings were beneficial also.
 
Taking a tour of the magnificent UPMC Sports Centre, Orthopaedic Research Lab, Biodynamics Lab, Robotics Lab, Stem Cell Lab, Cellular and Molecular Engineering Lab was also revealing and inspirational.

 
 
All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. Hence, courtesy of Dr Fu, I watched the Pitts Club Basketball team trounce their opponent at the Petersen Events Centre.

I will never forget Mrs. Lisa Arrisher-Brown, Secretary to Dr. Fu. Then Dr. Garth Walker, Dr. Fu's Research Fellow, who took care of most of my logistics and whom I equally impacted upon during the period. I also enjoyed the company of other international orthopaedic fellows who kept my company at UPMC.

The special dinner with Dr. Fu at the Prestigious Duquesne Club was another memorable event that I will not forget in a hurry. Every moment spent with this Orthopaedic innovator was a cherished time as his achievements, leadership and mentorship are worthy of emulation.

From the East coast, I then travelled to the west coast, to Oakland City, CA on the east side of the bay. My next training was at Kaiser Permanente's New Oakland Medical Centre. This group has certainly taking healthcare to another level. The new centre is tastefully furnished and well equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. I was privileged to be mentored by an earnest teacher and Arthroplasty surgeon par excellence, Dr. Stefano Bini, whom I had been acquainted with at the AAOS International Scholarship Alumni meeting. My training in Total Joint Surgery was indeed heightened by Dr. Bini and colleagues in the Orthopaedic surgery Department.

 
 
Learning from Dr. Thomas Barber and Dr. Kan Gill, the present and past Chief of Arthroplasty, was indeed a pleasant experience for me. I did not only learn about surgical skills. It was also an opportunity to learn about their health system, health processes and protocols. The opportunity to learn leadership tips while learning surgical skills is quite unique and classic. It was an interesting time also when I made a presentation on "The Health System and Orthopaedic education in Nigeria".

 
Having come this close to the Bay area, I took a dash to San Francisco to enjoy some happy moments with my mentor, Dr. Rick Coughlin and friends at IGOT.

 An evening with Dr. Bini's lovely family was one to remember. Playing with the kids reminded me of home and the holidays.

 Oh, what a way to end the year! It's been a most remarkable experience.  Now, I’m reloaded to impact positively on my Orthopaedic patient care, practice and career.  All thanks to Almighty God and to AAOS for providing this wonderful platform.

I wish us all Happy Holidays and a most fulfilling 2015.

Dr. Adeoye James Adetiloye

1 comment: