Friday, January 2, 2015

Dr. Nguyen Nguyen Thai Bao, 2014 scholarship recipient of the AAOS-Viet Nam Orthopaedic Association Visiting Scholar and Professional Development Program in Adult Reconstruction


It has been my great honor to have the chance to visit Mayo Clinic as a scholarship recipient of the 2014 AAOS-VOA Visiting Scholar and Professional Development Program in Adult Reconstruction. It was a very precious lifetime opportunity to widen my view of orthopedics, to witness the medical practice at one of the best state-of-the-art hospitals in the world.

 
I would like to express my deepest gratitude to Professor Miguel Cabanela for all his kind support and guidance during my time at Mayo Clinic as well as his encouragements to me in the last three AAOS-VOA courses in Vietnam.

I spent my two weeks at Mayo Clinic with Dr. Matthew Abdel and Dr. Michael Taunton, and I am so grateful for the hospitality and their enthusiastic guidance to help me benefit the most from the program. I had a chance to see the remarkable work of Dr. Abdel and Dr. Taunton and their teams in both clinic and surgery. I learned a lot from the surgical techniques to treatment strategies, to OR organization, to communication with patient’s families, patient education and patient preparation. I also had a chance to listen to surgeons’ presentations on early Tuesday mornings and to discussions after the surgeries, as well as to study at the gross anatomy labs on Mondays. Dr. Abdel and Dr. Taunton also taught me a lot during case discussions with their residents and me.

 
The Mayo Clinic visit has changed me a lot, both from the point of view of practicing orthopedics surgery and in future career direction. I wish I could have a chance to participate in other AAOS courses and meetings.
Thank you!

Nguyen Nguyen T. Bao, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment