Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Dr. Tashfeen Ahmad (Pakistan), 2014 AAOS International Scholarship recipient



To be selected for the AAOS international fellowship award among 90 applicants is a great honor for me, it provided for an exhilarating experience. The Orthopaedic Learning Center at Rosemont, IL provided excellent opportunity for hands-on skills development in trauma exposures to which I was unaccustomed in my practice. The lectures were delivered by experts who were up-to-date with latest evidence, and have improved my diagnostic and decision making skills in line with current best practices. In particular, I was impressed by the course directors Dr. O’ Toole and Dr. Ostrum, and found very useful to my practice the talks and discussions by Dr. Clifford B. Jones, Dr. Liporace, Dr. Tornetta III and Dr. Siegel, among others. The program was highly relevant to my practice, meticulously well planned, and flawlessly conducted.

 The subsequent clinical attachment at New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA exposed me to experts with vast experience of subspecialty surgery, which broadened my knowledge and enriched it with new concepts. In particular, I remember the total knees by Dr. Mattingly, shoulders by Dr. Jawa, hips by Dr. Van Flandern and arthroscopies by Dr. Ross. Coming to my area of interest (Foot and Ankle), I got a thrilling experience of working with Dr. Slovenkai and Dr. Leavitt. With my background from Pakistan and some experience at UK, we had lucid discussions about the differences in management approaches between three different continents. Overall, all doctors and staff were extremely courteous, and offered genuine help and guidance.

 
I highly recommend this program to orthopaedic surgeons from other countries, and hope that this valuable initiative of the Academy continues and flourishes in the future

No comments:

Post a Comment